Wednesday, 14 March 2012

'Butterfly' lamp tutorial

Never let it be said that I don't read and appreciate comments that people make on this blog.


So Natasha Beaulieu you want a tutorial on the 'Butterfly' lamp and credenza that I made for Snowfern Clover ? Okay, I'll start with the lamp. This is exactly how I made it but feel free to put your own stamp on it.

The lamp is one of those can't-see-the-cable affairs. You know, the ones where the cable runs through the base? Clear as mud? Hm, hopefully the pictures will paint the thousand words I can't think of right now.


Start with four pieces of wood . I'm using bass wood here rather than a dark wood for better clarity. the dimensions are 10mm x 10mm by whatever length and width you want. The sizes I've used are 50mm and 25mm for this tutorial but you can adjust the size to whatever scale you want.


The intermittent red line in the picture above represents a drill hole running from the base of the lamp, through to the bulb. This is where the cable will be hidden.



Set the drill bit (a 4mm drill bit will be ample), so that when you drill down the length of the wood (the 50mm piece), you don't go straight through. You have to have a steady hand...make sure you don't skew to one side =0/. Then drill down halfway into the wood where I've marked an 'X'. When you're finished, the drill holes will meet .


You can probably see better from this picture how the cable goes in at the bottom, through almost the full length of the wood and out at one side. I won't lie and say the cable goes in without a hitch because it doesn't. Swearing at it doesn't seem to help, neither does throwing it off a wall


On one of the shorter (25mm pieces), drill a hole half way down the length and again half way through the middle. Again, the holes should meet so that the cable runs freely through from one side to the other.


See. Piece of cake *manic laughter*


Glue it all together, making sure that the cable moves freely.


Alternatively, you could use a pre-drilled bead and save yourself the hassle. It's your call =0)

Now the lampshade.





Take a section of clear tube, (I used an empty hair serum bottle that I sliced with a saw) The bottle I used was around 35mm diameter. Just have a look around for something in a suitable scale to the lamp stand you are making. I used a jewelery finding that you can buy from Tee-Pee Crafts. This, I have found, gets around the problem associated with fixing drum shaped lamp shades to miniature lamps.



Measure and bend the ends of the jewelry finding so that it fits snugly inside the lamp shade



Glue the jewelry finding into place with superglue or similar. Once dried, glue the whole lamp shade onto your lamp base, making sure that you thread the wire through the hole in the middle of the jewelery finding. You can now solder a grain of wheat bulb or led onto the end of the wire sticking out of the top of the shade. Once everything is in place, carefully draw the wire through the lamp base so that the bulb sits inside the shade.
If you are using a pre-wired lamp, just remember to thread it through the lamp shade first and then the base and then glue everything together. Same instructions except you'll be doing it backwards

 To get the effect I used on Snowfern's shade,  I used one mini flower punch to cut lots of little flowers from vellum paper. Vellum is opaque so that it lets the light through but rigid enough to hold its shape


Use a stylus to shape the petals so that they curve up



Cover the lamp shade with either double-sided sticky tape or suitable glue and attach the petals in a random pattern.



This is the lamp I made (picture courtesy of Snowfern-Clover)

Pepper =0)

Mad for Mod
I've included a screen shot of the Tee-Pee catalogue showing the metal findings. I have no idea what they are called...spacers...links *shrugs* Maybe take this picture to a jewelery store and see if they can shed any light on it =0/

Modded to add : I've just received an email from a very helpful Lady called Claire, who actually makes full scale lamps and knows what the star shaped metal fitting is called...a spider! Thank you Claire =0)

30 comments:

  1. Hi, Nice post. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me.

    Thanks!

    Joel Houston
    JHouston791@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joel,
      no problem. Just remeber to give us miniaturists a head up if you spot anything 1:12, 1:16 that we can use in our scenes =0)

      Delete
  2. Love it! I would have never thought of how to do this in a million years! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have any suggestions on how to add doors like the ones on the credenza on this post without having the hinges or nils show?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be writing a tut on how I make opening cupboard doors on my furniture. Stay tuned =0)

      Delete
  4. Last question...what is this type of jewelery finding called?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added the Tee-Pee crafts catalogue page to the post but I have no idea what they're called. If you have any problems getting hold of them, drop me a line and I'll send some to you =0)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Pepper,
      I hope I can find some of these findings! You're awesome!

      Delete
  5. Another spectacular tutorial, you are so resourceful. Keep it coming :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ktojoy, you're very kind =0)

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing this nice tutorial! I love this butterfly lamp. Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ilona. Hugs right back atcha =0)

      Delete
  7. Hello Pepper,
    Great tutorial. The instructions were very clear and the lamp looks gorgeous...Great work!
    All the best,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Giac, it's very kind of you to say so
      =0*

      Delete
  8. Lovely!
    Careful, someone will nominate you for Best Blog next year...Hmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gawd no. I prefer to mingle with the wallflowers thanks =0)

      Delete
  9. Great tutorial and great lamp! I love the simplicity of the base and the flowers on the lamp shade. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Troy. Simplicity...that's me all over =0)

      Delete
  10. Holy smokes. Brilliant tutorial! I LOVED seeing that lamp and was hoping you'd do a tutorial on it. Simply fantastic!! I can't wait to try to make one. Absolutely Fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. owf! two posts!!! thanks for showing how, still, seems too complicated for me to attempt > <

    *big big HUUUUGE bear hugs!!!* i keep taking everything out to stare at and show off hahahaha!!! *walks around smugly*

    *giggles like a silly schoolgirl*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! You wonderful little monkey! THANK YOU so very much for fulfilling my tutorial request! I never really thought you'd see it or actually have time to do it so I hadn't checked back till now...silly me. You really made my day and once I get a couple of supplies I will be trying to make one...Pics once it's done I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Carol...what size finding did you use from Tee Pee crafts. the big or small? I have been trying to come up with something like this for months to solve the barrel lampshade problem! Thanks so much for sharing...Hugs J :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jazzi, I have your addy, I'll send you some =0)

      Delete
  14. Oh gosh thanx darls! I was going to spend hours looking on net at Australian jewellery suppliers...You a doll xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your little shades. Would you happen to know what the 'spider' things are called under 'jewelry findings'? Having no success finding in the US. I think they are crucial for the shades, don't you?
    Please help... many thanks
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara :)
      Teepee crafts used to sell them in the UK but I haven't seen them for a long time. If you want to contact me with your address, I can send what I have left to you :)

      Delete